Homemade soft pretzels topped with coarse salt are one of those snacks I could eat anytime anywhere — the mall, NYC sidewalk, Auntie Anne’s thawed from the freezer. These pretzels are super soft, salty and go great with mustard! And we also like them brushed with melted butter and tossed in a bag with cinnamon sugar.
HOMEMADE SOFT PRETZELS
Homemade soft pretzels topped with coarse salt. Makes 12 Pretzels
FOR THE PRETZELS
- 1 1/2 cups Warm Water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons Instant Yeast
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Brown Sugar
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 500 grams Flour
- Coarse Salt to add on top
FOR THE BAKING SODA BATH
- 1/2 cup Baking Soda
- 9 cups Water
- Add yeast to warm water, whisk and let sit 1 min.
- Add salt, brown sugar and melted butter and pour into stand mixer.
- With the dough hook, slowly begin to mix flour into yeast mixture. Once it has turned into dough, mix on low speed for 3 min.
- Cover lightly with damp towel and let rest 10 min.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and get baking soda bath ready by combining baking soda and water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Cut dough into 12 pieces. Roll a single piece into a 22” rope and shape into a pretzel (watch the video for reference.) Repeat with 11 other pieces.
- Drop 1-2 pretzels into boiling water for 30 seconds max. With a slotted spatula, lift pretzel out of water, place onto baking sheet and sprinkle with coarse salt. Repeat with remaining pretzels.
- Bake 12 min. or until golden brown. Serve warm and enjoy!
Looking for something a little sweeter? Try my version of Oatmeal Cream Pies filled with Homemade Marshmallow!